Saturday, November 16, 2013

DIY Kindle Cover Tutorial

Manly DIY Christmas Present…

So this year my husband and I decided to do homemade gifts for each other.  And it was HIS idea!!! Can you believe that?  I was sooo excited to get started but I wanted to make something I thought he would use daily and really really LOVE.  You know?  I mean REALY love!  

Here is what I came up with:


A kindle cover made out of an old book!  Want to make your own?  It seriously took me only about 20 minutes. 


Ok, so you are going to need:
-an old book (I found mine at the thrift store for about a dollar
-a small scrap of fabric
-some thin cardboard (like a serial box)
-elastic
-and glue

So the first thing you are going to need to do is pull all the pages out of the book.  (this was painful for me!)

Just take a pair of scissors or knife and cut along the spine in the front and back of the book and pull, the pages will come right out.


Now cut your cardboard piece a bit smaller than the size of the book.


Then cut your fabric piece.  It needs to be bigger than the cardboard so you can wrap the edges.



Ok, time for the glue.  Spread it all over the cardboard to attach the fabric.  I used mod podge so I could get it nice and flat but any glue will work.


Start wrapping your elastic.  You will wrap 2 edges and then you will have to cut a small slit in the center to pull the other 2 pieces through.


glue those in place as well


And glue your fabric wrapped board to the book itself.


Done!  Ta-da, ta-da!


Don't you just love it?  I do.  I loved it so much I had to go back to the thrift store to make a couple more!  Christmas, Christmas, Christmas people!!!!!



Thanks for stopping by everyone, come back and visit us again soon,

 -Sarah

 We love that you stopped by and cant wait to see you again soon! If you liked Yuen Yarn, check out some of our older posts, Like us on FacebookFollow Me on Pinterest ,visit our ETSY shop, follow us on Instagram, follow us on twitter, or come see our website www.yuenyarn.com.



2 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea, :D I really want to make one of these, but I'm afraid of how painful it would be to cut out the pages of the book. And it would end up being one of my favorite reads, since that's the book I'd want to make the cover out of, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It was really painful tearing the pages out of a book. Once I got up the nerve to do it I really loved how it turned out but it took me some time to really do it!

      Delete