Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Homemade Applesauce

I really just love homemade applesauce.  Especially when it's warm.  

Ohhhhh..... it is so good.  I am really craving it just thinking about it.   

So I will just get right to it.  These are the ingredients I used in mine but you don thane to add the peaches or cranberries.  I thought the peaches would be a nice addition so I wouldn't have to add extra sugar.  

The Peaches are homemade last year in extra light syrup.  I drained all the syrup before I added them to the pot. 

Then I found some cranberries in the freezer and thought it would look pretty with a little red in there.  

The lemon juice is to keep the apples from browning.  

easy DIY applesauce, How to make applesauce    

Ingredients:
4 of your favorite apples
1 jar peaches
1 cup cranberries
2 Tbsp lemon juice

again, you don't have to add the peaches or the cranberries but I did.  You can add an extra apple or two instead if you want.  (If you decide not to add the peaches you will need to add some water to the pot.  At least 2 cups and keep an eye on it so you don't burn the pan!  Speaking form experience here!)  The type of apple you use will determine the sweetness of the final product.  It's all up to you!  

Also, if you prefer cinnamon in your applesauce I would suggest:

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp clove




So, through it all in the pot and let it simmer on low for 2-4 hours.  

OR

Through it all in the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours.  This is much less maintenance than the stove top.  Make sure you add enough liquid to cover the bottom of the pot. If you omit the peaches then you will need to add some water. (maybe 2 cups).


Apparently I forgot to take a picture of the final product, it was delish!  If you like a chunky applesauce then you can just mash it with a potato masher, if you like a smoother texture blend until your happy!

Hope you enjoy as much as I do!

-Sarah  


No comments:

Post a Comment