Monday, June 18, 2012

DIY cold packs for the kiddos

DIY Cold Packs



I don't know about your house but here for every bump, scrape, bash or bruise a cold pack is wanted needed, absolutely positively necessary!  There never seem to be enough around here so I thought, why not make my own.  

I wanted one with a removable cover so I could wash it as needed.  I wanted it to be that great jelly consistency like the ones you can buy, but I wanted to know what was in it so when it gets punctured I know what is leaking on my children.  I did a bit of research and found they are relatively simple!  (Yeah!!!)

So here is the recipe...

Cold Packs with a removable cover...

All you will need is...
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup rubbing alcohol
  • 2 sandwich bags
  • and a piece of cloth large enough to cover the sandwich bags




mix your rubbing alcohol and water together and put in a sandwich bag.  I double bagged it just incase it decided to leak on me.  






place in the freezer and wait.  

(After about 4 hours it was cold and feeling kind of squishy but it didn't get the jelly like consistency until I waited overnight)








While you are waiting you can make your cover.  





Take you strip of fabric and fold it over to make a sort of envelope with right sides together.  Sew the edges on both sides and flip it inside out.







slip the cover onto the frozen water combo...







Presto!!


See, easy peasy, right!?!  And the kids love it.  This is a piece of fabric I had but I really think the kids would love one with their favorite character on it.  That will be next!

Thanks, 
-Sarah

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you liked Yuen Yarn, check out some of our older posts, or Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment